So you have completed your interior house renovations. In this beautiful part of Canada it is tempting to put in an outdoor kitchen. It can be a partly enclosed outdoor cooking area which can also be in winter months or an open area set aside for family and friend’s entertainment in the summer months.
Outdoor kitchens can be anything from a simple grill space to a stunning dream kitchen with up-to-date appliances.
However whatever the size of your outdoor kitchen there is one factor that applies to all and that is all building materials must be able to stand up to the elements. This is especially important when you choose any outdoor cabinets from your local kitchen cabinet shop.
Most outdoor appliances will be of stainless steel but there are a few choices of countertops and cabinets. Have closer look at the ideas below:-
- Outdoor cabinets must be weather and termite proof.
- Stainless Steel is a good type of surface to use for outdoor cabinets. It will match with many appliances. It is of course weather and insect proof. When using stainless steel for outside units it should be of a 304 grade stainless steel. This is the type that will hold up to any corrosion and staining .Experts should be consulted to make sure that corners are correctly welded. One disadvantage is that countertops which are exposed to direct sunlight in summer can get rather hot.
- Marine Grade Polymer is another type of material that is widely used in outdoor kitchen applications. It must be marine grade as it can stand up to moisture and in addition is UV resistant. It is also available in a variety of colors.
- Consider using Teak. It gives a classic feel to any outside cabinetry. It a wood, but whilst it is not as resistant to the weather as stainless steel and polymer, is does have a natural weather resistance which makes it the best for that outdoor feel. It is expensive though and does require higher maintenance.
- Decorative stone can be an attractive option for outdoors. Masonry cabinets can be fitted using a cement block or metal frame covered in a natural stone. It is of course highly weather resistant.
- Choose the material for your climate first then start looking at the design.
When you are designing your outdoor kitchen have a look at these tips:
- Outdoor kitchen cabinets do not have to be fixed. Think about putting your cabinets on an outdoor kitchen island on caster wheels. This will allow for flexibility when you are entertaining.
- As is often a concern with indoor kitchens, make sure that your outdoor kitchen has plenty of storage space. Design a mix of deep and shallow cabinets.
- If there is a wall in your outdoor kitchen consider installing cabinets above and below. This will obviously give you more storage space but can also look very appealing.
- If you plan to use your outdoor area for special entertaining then an outdoor gas grill is a must. However it is worth considering warmer drawers, side burners and of course refrigerators. Any kitchen renovation expert will be able to advice and guide on incorporating these into your design.
It is worth putting planning and effort into the design of your outdoor kitchen. Get expert advice from Easy Installations today. We have what you need in kitchen cabinets .You and your family will enjoy the area and of course it will increase the resell value of your property.